Room at the Thanksgiving Table

I’m not vegan. Far from it.  Have I thought about it?  Sure. Did I research it? Yes. But I love meat. Simple as that.  I completely respect and see the benefits of a plant-based diet and lifestyle. I also respect the dedication and commitment vegans have to this lifestyle. Whatever their motivations – some love animals too much to eat them, others want a healthier diet, others seek to avoid a food source whose origins are unknown in place of plants whose origins come from their own backyard – a person must be disciplined.

There are tons of memes about vegans and their “holier than thou” stereotype. In the face of criticism and questioning it’s no wonder vegans (and vegetarians) feel compelled to defend their choice. How do you get enough protein? How is that healthy? Do you eat anything besides salad?

Thanksgiving is probably the worst time of year for my vegan friends. Everyone accusing them of ruining the sacred turkey tradition. Asking how on earth they could possible celebrate Thanksgiving. Fuck that. The meal is not about the damn turkey.  Gathering around the table, sharing what we’re thankful for, and sharing a meal is what it’s about. Trust me, my favorite part of the meal is the stuffing that has been put in and then extracted from the body of a turkey.  While I desperately want to eat it, if I showed up at a vegan’s home and she didn’t have any, I would survive.  My Thanksgiving would NOT be ruined. 

Many people hold traditions sacred. I get it.  But I also see the trouble with traditions.  They’re exclusionary. They don’t leave much room for reflection or the opportunity for new ideas or opinions. The assumption that things must stay the same to keep a certain group of people happy while not considering the unhappiness of another group.  It separates people, rather than bringing them together.  Traditions can be modified and should be modified to be more inclusive. So let your sister bring her vegan stuffing, don’t make jokes about it, and for crying out loud just TRY IT.  It will not compromise your meat-eating values. It will not ruin your Thanksgiving. In fact, I found there is room on the table for everyone’s dish.  
The Omnivore and The Vegan

Comments

Post a Comment