In honor of Judy

A millions books, movies and stories have been told about how food brings people together.  The history of our lives can often be conveyed in detail through our culinary experiences.  My life is no exception.  I was blessed with a mother who prepared wonderful meals for our family nearly every day of the week. Her cooking provides endless memories of childhood, celebrations, and traditions, both in the kitchen and at our dining room table.

10 years ago, when I met my husband Jason, I discovered that he shared the same blessing.  Judith Merlene Meslin was a wonderful cook.

Judy in her kitchen making enchiladas.
Thanksgiving Dinner
Just finished dinner at Julee's house
Over the years I've observed her techniques. I’ve asked for recipes. I’ve watched her teach my husband how to make his favorite Boysenberry Pie. I’ve also had the pleasure of cooking for her.  And in a way that only Judy could, she made me feel like I was the expert. That I was the masterful and creative cook.

It wasn’t just her cooking that was special.  It was a pleasure to share a meal with her.  She was proud of the fact that she loved ALL vegetables and would try anything once. She loved to sit down at the table with a glorious meal and savor each bite. My mealtimes with Judy were always memorable.

My mother-in-law passed away suddenly last weekend and I am heartbroken. I will miss talking to her about food. I’ll miss watching her turn bacon in a huge skillet first thing in the morning. I’ll miss standing in her kitchen and hugging her.  I am grateful that my sister-in-law Julee is an accomplished cook and will carry on Judy’s traditions.  I am up to the task of also honoring those traditions for my sons. 

I look forward to having Jason recount tales of stealing bits of turkey before it was served as I make our Thanksgiving meal. I will try to make potato & dumpling soup (extra dumplings), and meatloaf draped in bacon, smothered in tomato juice. I will channel her smiles and infuse those meals with the love she so generously shared with her family. I want her to be present in our lives, at our table, laughing and eating, and drinking and being merry as she always was.


Comments