Lentil Soup

Who loves Middle Eastern food?  I do!  I do!  And while I'm lucky to have quite a few restaurant options around town, many people aren't (sorry sissy!).  The convenience is great, but can hit the pocketbook hard!  Especially when all four of us induldge!  Soooo...we've been making a few of our favorites at home and I wanted to share one that I've been LOVING lately - Lentil Soup (Crockpot Style)!

The original recipe is easy and done in less than an hour on the stove. For me, I struggle with being able to stand at the stove, let alone watch a bubbling pot when my babes are awake and running free!  So I tried the recipe in my crockpot and guess what?  I love it even more!

Adapted from About.com's Vegetarian Lentil Soup, here's my version...in the crock!

Lentil Soup

1 cup dry lentils (I use brown lentils)
5 cups vegetable broth
1 medium onion, diced
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp pepper
Dash of salt

Place all ingredients in the crockpot and set to HIGH.
Cook for 8-10 hours.  Add/adjust seasonings to taste.


Serves 3-4.


*  Give your lentils a quick rinse and sort before adding to the pot.

*  This soup will thicken (almost a stew-like consistency) the longer it cooks.  If you prefer a thinner soup, I suggest adding 1-2 cups of liquid.

*  This soup will also gain a richer, deeper taste the longer it cooks.  I usually leave it cooking for at least 10 hours.  

Serve with bread, pair with plain yogurt, or throw in some cooked cubed yams (sounds odd, but it's delicious!)


Before




After

Comments

  1. sounds yummy! i've never used cumin, is there anything that you think i could use to substitute for that if i don't have it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might want to pick up some cumin. It's a mild and fragrant spice. It's not very expensive (as spices go), but I am quite certain we'll be sharing lots of recipes with cumin in them!

      Delete
  2. I would suggest substituting chili powder in the same measurement.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment