Easy, Impressive Risotto

I rely Epicurious, Food Network and Allrecipes.com to give me great recipes. However, I'm usually in search of something specific: a great pork loin, the best chili or and to-die-for quiche. On the other hand, magazines and blogs introduce me to recipes I didn't even know I wanted. I would never have searched online for something like this, but seeing the photo in the magazine caught my attention and I'm so glad!

This was the first risotto I ever made and is still the one I make most often. While it's a little indulgent (mostly in price) it is worth putting into quarterly rotation on your meal planning calendar.


Hailing from Bon Appetit, I have not altered it dramatically, I only substitute bacon when I don't feel like seeking out pancetta (plus, there is almost always bacon in my fridge). Therefore, I'm just linking to the article and sharing a few of my own photos.


If you are intimidated by risotto, this is a perfect introduction. Quick and easy, but very impressive!


Helpful hints: 
  • Fresh sage ONLY.
  • To save a little money buy a whole squash. When cutting it up, hack off the bulbous end and throw it away. I know, this seems wasteful, but you'll have enough from the cylindrical portion and won't have the hassle of trying to chop the awkwardly shaped end. 
  • Don't try to use regular rice. You need arborio. Trust me, after this recipe, you'll want to experiment with risotto and you'll be glad you bought the big container.

Bacon and shrimp waiting for the rest of the recipe to catch-up
Just adding in the squash and sage

Comments

  1. Sounds good!

    One comment about throwing away the piece of squash: DON'T! :)
    Either use it with the rest of the squash - after all, it's not gonna take a day and a half to prepare that piece to use. Or: throw it in a pot of boiling water and cook until tender, then: chop it up and use it in a stir-fry ... chop it up and use it in a scrambled-egg dish ... chop it up and use it in a soup ... blend it and use it in soup, in burger mixtures, in meat loaf mixtures ... in casseroles ... as part of the milk when making mashed potatoes ... as part of the liquid when cooking rice, beans, other veggies ... and ... believe it or not, you can throw it into about any kind of smoothies, sweet or savory, and no one will know the difference! : )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment