The Vanilla & Chocolate (Pudding) Debate!

What's your vote?  Vanilla or Chocolate?

There was a time I visited my sister (when she lived) in Jersey and we wanted dessert after dinner.  I was on a pudding kick and it just so happened that she had some in the fridge.  But to my dismay it was vanilla!  Oh, the horror...I know!  I'm a chocolate gal, first and always, and the thought of consuming my 'treat of the week' in another flavor (a rival flavor no less) made me hesitate.  But my sister swore it was yummy, and would be perfect paired with our favorite cookie.  So, I ate the pudding and cookie together and she was right.  It was yummy.  But it didn't change my love for chocolate....

If anyone else enjoys pudding like me, I'm sure you have seen the vast varieties in the store.  Unfortunately, they're not the healthiest snack option out there.  Yes, it's a small cup, but raise your hand if you've been tempted (or even gave in) to having a second cup?  I'll admit, I have.  One reason is because it's not a very filling snack.  According to the ingredient list on a package of a Chocolate Flavor Pudding Snack - sugar, hydrogenated vegetable oil, artificial flavors and colors are just a few of the culprits that leave us wanting more.  To remedy this, I have a homemade pudding recipe that will fill you up with good-for-you ingredients AND you can make it in minutes!

Chia seeds are the star ingredient in this recipe.  Chia is unprocessed and contains a healthy source of omega-3 fats, antioxidants, calcium, and fiber (just to name a few).    Another quality to chia is that it expands when added to water.  Not only does this seed enhance (or expand) a dish, but it gives you a feeling a fullness (which was lacking with the store brand pudding).

There are many recipes on the internet for pudding (made with chia), and I've tried a TON!  I had a difficult time finding one with just the right texture, consistency and taste that I personally liked.  I almost gave up until I stumbled upon a blog that offered a recipe that was unlike the others.  It was "instant" pudding, done in a blender, with ingredients that I hadn't used in the previous recipes.  Well, it turned out to be the big winner for me and I wanted to share it with you!

Adapted from Dreena Buron's Plant-Powered Kitchen recipe Chocolate Coconut Chia Pudding, here's how to make your fave pudding:

Chocolate Pudding


1 cup non-dairy milk

3 Tbsp chia seeds
1/2 cup (+) pitted dates
1 Tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1-3 Tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)
1-3 Tbsp non-dairy mini chocolate chips (optional)
1/2-1 cup fresh fruit (optional)

Vanilla Pudding


1 cup non-dairy milk

3 Tbsp chia seeds
1/2 cup (+) pitted dates
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1-3 Tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)
1/2-1 cup fresh fruit (optional)

To make either pudding:

Place milk, chia, dates, vanilla, and salt into the blender. Add cocoa here if making chocolate pudding.
Pulse or Low speed to start.  Gradually increase to High, stopping to scrape down the sides.
Once Chia and dates are ground and well blended, transfer mixture to a bowl.
Chill for 1/2-1 hour before serving.
Before serving, top with optional coconut, chocolate chips, and/or fruit.

Serves 3

Notes:

  1. If you've never used chia seeds before, instead of buying a bag visit the bulk food store or bulk section at your nearby health food store and grab what you need.  Watch for a future blog post dedicated to chia - you may go back for more!  
  2. I used unsweetened plain almond milk and the sweetness level was on point.  Feel free to adjust the sweetness to your liking by using chocolate or vanilla milk or adding more dates.
  3. Dates make this recipe!  Dates are a sweet, nutritious fruit and a pantry item must have.  They can be found in most grocery or International stores in either the International aisle or dried fruit section.
  4. The serving size is around 200 calories and approximately a 1/2 cup.  To help with portions (I can eat the entire bowl), divide pudding into three containers and keep in fridge for up to a week.
  5. I would recommend making a double batch.  Not only will it help with blending, but you may run out quicker than you think!
  6. If you must, the pudding can be eaten immediately.  But popping it in the fridge allows for the yumminess to set and chill.
  7. This pudding tastes great alone as a snack, or added to your breakfast routine.  I like it as a dessert, preferably paired with a cookie :)
Ingredients


Double batch of chocolate


Single batch of silky, smooth chocolate

Single serving of vanilla & chocolate (with coconut and chocolate chips)

Comments