Your (NEW) Favorite Guacamole Recipe

I didn't always love avocados. I used to turn my nose up at guacamole - the name alone sounded gross.  However, somewhere along the way, I re-tried avocado and fell in love with the buttery taste. Which means I now also love guacamole.  I have no problem buying it at the store, but there is a DECIDED difference between fresh and store bought.  Even the stuff in the deli is not like homemade. And, considering how easy it is to make, I have no excuses.

The recipe comes from my friend and cooking mentor, Sarah. On more than one occasion we have devoured a large bowl with some crispy tortilla chips and white wine. (Michelle and I discovered these tortilla chips with chia and quinoa at Whole Foods....we highly recommend them.) 

There is some technique involved and not everyone may feel comfortable, so I've included extra photos to show the steps. 

Guacamole

1 jalapeno pepper, sliced in 1/2, white parts and seeds removed, diced*
3 tablespoons diced onion
1/2 lime, juiced
2 medium to large cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt

Use a garlic crusher, or finely chop two cloves of garlic. Make a paste with the salt: pour salt onto the garlic and, using the flat side of a large knife, grind the salt into the garlic, set aside. Slice the avocados in half, remove the pits.  Slice diagonally both ways to make a grid, being careful not to cut through the skin, and then use a spoon to remove the meat. Put avocado into a small mixing bowl and mash with a fork. Mix in garlic paste, jalapenos, onion and lime juice until mostly smooth.  Using plastic wrap cover the bowl, pressing the wrap down so it touches the top of the guacamole - this helps prevent browning. Chill for 30 minutes before serving.

After making the recipe according to these measurements, experiment with the amount of garlic, salt and onion you add.  It comes down to personal preference. I usually opt for 1 more clove of garlic. 


finely chopped garlic

add salt

grind salt into garlic with flat side of knife

= garlic paste
scooping out 'meat'

finished product - just grab some chips!

*You can see I have gloves on in the photos - I have eczema so raw food often irritates my skin.  Latex gloves help protect my hands. Additionally, when I have this much contact with jalapenos and garlic, it will keep those juices from getting under my nails and later irritating my eyes, lips, or anything else I touch - or just keep the smell from annoying you for hours after you've cooked. 

Comments