Pockets of Goodness

I've been trying some new dishes geared towards my 2 1/2 year old twins. My goal is to expand their palates, expose them to different foods, and provide them with nutritional sustenance; while secretly hoping that my husband and I will enjoy these foods too. 

Sometimes I'm successful (faker tots, meatless Monday tacos, southwestern quinoa patties) and sometimes not.  For kids (and adults), much of what sells us on a particular dish is presentation and texture.  If it appears tasty, then we're half way there.  Just getting over that hurdle can open the door to new possibilities.  

I follow a fun blog called Super Healthy Kids and they recently posted a recipe for whole wheat veggie calzones.  I've been thinking of ways to incorporate more veggies in our meals (adults included) and this seemed like an appealing way to do it!  I liked the fact that once made, they were portable, required no utensils to eat, and could be stored in the freezer.  

This recipe walks you through making homemade pizza dough, which I had never done before.  From start to finish it took 40 minutes and didn't required a mixer. If you wanted to use store bought pizza dough, that would also work.  

I had some leftovers in my fridge I was hoping to incorporate into the calzones.  I used black bean chili as my sauce, steamed mixed veggies as the filling, and a sprinkle of Daiya cheese.  I made them small for easy handling and packing, but the size can be adjusted to your liking.  When I presented these cute little pockets on the plate, my babes had big smiles and dug right in!  They looked inside, pulled out a veggie and asked what it was, then tried another bite.  They had fun with the calzones (or pizza pockets as I called them) and I felt good introducing them to a new dish that encompassed quality ingredients for a nutritious meal.  When my husband tested it, he immediately asked if I made any with pepperoni and cheese! 

As for me, I LOVED them!  I can't wait to make them again and add some of MY favorite veggies such as broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms, and peppers.  I can imagine making a number of varieties that we'll all enjoy.  

From whole wheat veggie calzones:

Pockets of Goodness

Dough

1 pkg yeast (or 1 Tbsp)
1 Tbsp sugar (I used coconut palm sugar)
1 cup warm water
1 tsp salt
3 Tbsp olive oil
3 cups flour (I used oat flour and whole wheat flour)

1/4 cup milk (used for milk wash pre-bake)

Filling

1- 1 1/2 cups veggies, chopped finely*
1 cup sauce** 
1/2 cup shredded cheese (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste

To start crust, combine yeast, sugar, and warm water in a small bowl and let sit for 5 minutes.
Grab a large bowl and combine salt, olive oil, and flours. 
Add yeast mixture to large bowl and mix together using a spoon, spatula, and/or hands and set aside in a warm place for approximately 40-45 minutes.

Once dough is ready, clear a flat surface that allows you enough room to roll and prep your pockets.
Arrange your area to include a bowl for your sauce and a bowl for your veggies mixed with cheese (if using, and seasoned with salt and pepper).  
Preheat oven to 425 degrees and prepare 2 sheet pans with a coat of non-stick spray or line with parchment paper.
Portion your dough in half, then half again so you are working with smaller amounts.  Roll in hand the desired size pocket - golf ball size for small pockets, baseball size for large pockets.  
Flour your surface.  Use a rolling pin or your hands to roll or press out dough into the shape of a circle.  
Place a spoonful of sauce in the middle, topped with a spoonful of veggies and cheese.
Fold pocket in half, crimp edges with a fork, and place on sheet pan.
Continue working until all pockets are formed.  For a golden crust, brush tops of pockets with a milk wash.
Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until browned.  The pockets will be firm to the touch.  
Let cool and serve.

Yield: 8-12 pockets (depending on size) 


NOTES:
  • For a gluten free crust, here are some homemade tips or a store bought option.  
  • You can make your own oat flour - easy peasy!
  • *Veggies can be anything you like or have on hand.  They can be raw or cooked.  I used leftover steamed veggies that included carrots, peas, green beans, mushrooms, and corn.  I've also used roasted broccoli.
  • **The sauce can be anything from homemade marinara to your favorite store bought pasta sauce.  I've used leftover crockpot black bean chili as a sauce.  Or omit the tomato-based layer and use a cheese sauce instead!  
  • I used almond milk for the milk wash (which didn't produce a noticeable golden color), but alternative glazes such as cow's milk, butter or whipped egg whites can be applied.  
  • Cooked pockets can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer.  If frozen, they should be placed in the oven or toaster oven to re-heat.  


Pockets with leftover black bean chili, steamed veggie medley, and cheese. 

Pockets with steamed broccoli and homemade cheese sauce. 

Helping mama!

Comments