Broccoli & Rice...In the Crockpot!


When I meal plan or try a new recipe, it's generally out of a need to use an ingredient.  For example, I may have forgotten about the extra box of mushrooms sitting in the back of the fridge or we have leftover refried beans that will get tossed before weeks end. These scenarios fuel me to get creative and use what we have as the base for a "new" meal.

This week's scenario?  Forgotten broccoli and a new bag of rice.  I LOVE broccoli and buy it by the truck load every few days.  But after visiting the farmer's market recently, we've been eating a few different veggies (eggplant, cauliflower) which put broccoli on the back burner.  I forgot I had some in my fridge and it was about time to use it.
As for rice, I just bought a bag of my favorite rice this week and was thinking about how I could use it.  Of course, I could just leave it unopened in the pantry.  But it was inspiring me to use it for a meal that particular day.

So I hit up good 'ole Pinterest and found a dish that met my needs AND it was a Crockpot dish!  I haven't used my Crockpot in a while and it actually worked out perfect because I wanted to have an easy meal on a day we'd be out of the house until dinner time.  

This dish is a big bowl of comfort, even on a warm day.  Nice and filling, we had it as a main meal but it could easily be a side dish.  

From My Plant-Based Family:

Broccoli & Rice Casserole in the Crockpot

2 cups short grain brown rice
3 cups water
1/2 cup nutritional yeast (see notes)
1/4 cup whole wheat flour 
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2-1 tsp salt
2-2 1/2 cups non-dairy milk (I used original unsweetened almond milk)
3 cups chopped broccoli

Add all ingredients to crockpot and stir well.
Cook on high for 3 hours.  

Serves 4-6 

Keep in the fridge for up to a week. 

Notes:
  • The main vegetable is broccoli, but I can see subbing or adding different veggies such as cauliflower, peas, carrots, etc.
  • The original recipe is written to use a Crockpot, but as a casserole it can be made in the oven as well.  Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 1  to 1.5 hours.
  • If you need a longer cooking time, set to low and add more liquid (another cup).
  • Nutritional Yeast is a considered a complete protein and is a popular dairy cheese substitute.  It has a strong cheesy, nutty flavor and is sugar-free, dairy-free, and gluten-free.   
  • If you'd like to use dairy cheese, I would recommend subbing 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese.  




Comments

  1. Could just water be used instead of milk just because I've run out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment