Sweet Summer Treat!

We have been lovin' summer around here, including all the good eats and treats that come along with it.  On the weekends, we tend to be out and about either hanging at a local festival or visiting a new or fave attraction. It's fun exploring new places, meeting new people, and trying new foods.  

If you know me, you know I'm a sucker for sweet treats.  I can spot a cupcake, ice cream cone, or candy from a mile away!  It seems my little ones have the same 'radar' as I do and are quick to point out the treats no matter where we are.  As difficult as it can be for ME to turn away, it can be tough to convince my toddlers that those sweets are generally not for us. What IS comforting is that we can have a healthy treat at home that will satisfy our eyes AND our sweet cravings.

We've been on a popsicle kick lately and my usual go-to is leftover smoothies poured into popsicle molds.  An overflowing smoothie isn't wasted and the kids are geeked they have a frozen treat coming later.  But, I wanted to try making something that was different yet as simple as the smoothie pops.  I found a recipe that fit the bill perfectly - Blueberries & Cream popsicles.  This recipe is only 3-ingredients, but I changed it slightly to add a little nutrition - greens.  Channeling my daily smoothies, I added a handful of greens to these pops. Of course this ingredient is optional - but guess what? You don't see them, you don't taste them, yet you get a healthy bonus. Trust me, it's still a sweet treat but now you can eat two without feeling guilty!

From the blog My Whole Food Life:

Blueberries & Cream Popsicles

1 1/2 cups blueberries
1 cup or handful of greens (spinach, swiss chard, kale), optional
2-3 Tbsp maple syrup

Place all four ingredients into a blender for 60-90 seconds.
Taste test for sweetness.  Add more maple syrup if needed.
Pour into molds and freeze.

Yields 6 popsicles   

Notes:
  • I have found canned coconut milk at the health food store and grocery store.  The grocery store generally has it in the International aisle with the Asian cuisine.
  • Feel free to swap blueberries for another fruit such as strawberries or peaches.
  • I love these silicone pop molds (pictured below) and I found them on Amazon.  







Comments