Easy Veggie Side Dishes

I am always trying to hide vegetables in my main courses. Not just for my kids, but for me and my husband.  If I can sneak in some squash or greens into a soup, I get pretty excited. However, there isn't always an opportunity to do that, and so I need legit vegetable side dishes.  I find many are lacking flavor and therefore, rely on unhealthy ingredients like tons of butter or cheese sauce to make them appetizing. These two dishes are easy, relatively quick and you can increase or decrease the the oil and butter to your taste/caloric needs. 

Zucchini Pancakes

2 medium zucchini
2 large or XL eggs, lightly beaten
6-8 tablespoons of flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
butter and/or vegetable oil
sour cream (optional)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Grate zucchini (skin on) into a bowl using the large side of a box grater. Immediately stir in eggs. Stir in 6 tbsp. of the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.  If the batter is too thin from the liquid in the zucchini, add the remaining two tablespoons of flour.

Heat a 10" to 12" skillet over medium heat. Add a splash of oil and 1/2 pat of butter. Using a large cookie scoop, drop 4 piles into the hot pan. Cook until golden brown on each side.  Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in oven for up to 30 minutes.  Wipe out the pan in between batches and add more butter/oil.   Top with sour cream.  Makes 10-12 3" pancakes. 

Main dish to pair with: Kielbasa & perogies

This is just slightly adapted from Barefoot Contessa's recipe.  There is a tutorial video on the page too.  I did NOT add the red onions because I was looking for something less savory.  Also, I reduced the oil and butter because I didn't want them saturated in grease, but didn't want them to stick to the pan either.




Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Honey & Cinnamon

4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup honey
2 tsp. cinnamon
salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Place sweet potatoes on a cookie sheet and drizzle with honey, cinnamon, oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 30-40 minutes or until tender. 

Main dish to pair with: Pork Tenderloin 

I just eye-balled the measurements, so you probably won't need as much as it calls for. See Tyler Florence's recipe and video tutorial if you have questions. 




In full-disclosure, I am the only one in my house who will touch sweet potatoes, so I made this just for me and loved it! 

Comments

  1. I made the zucchini cakes tonight and they turned out great! I used 2 flax eggs, added vegan parm cheese to the batter, and omitted the butter in the pan. Me and the hubs enjoyed them! The littles tried them but weren't fans.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment