Roasted Chickpea Snack

As I'm sitting here writing this blog post, I'm munching on some homemade roasted chickpeas.  The idea originally came from a store bought bag I tried and enjoyed.  Being that I tend to stock my pantry with cans of chickpeas for salads, hummus, faker tots, smoothies, etc., why not experiment with throwing them in the oven?  

My first thought was sweet - because that's just me.  I saw this recipe and was inspired to play with sugar-y flavors but without using refined sugar.  Maple syrup is my go-to sweetener.   Marrying it with coconut oil, vanilla, and cinnamon gave these legumes a subtle, yet fragrant taste that reminds me of pancakes and cinnamon-sugar cereal.  My sister-in-law happily compared them to the freshly served roasted almonds you find at local fairs and markets.

As for the savory beans, I must give props to my husband.  I tried different spice combinations, using blends that we regularly add in our dishes.  While tasty, nothing stood out.  I asked my husband - who won't eat chickpeas - what savory flavor would he be willing to try.  He said garlic.  But not from the spiced powder or actual cloves.  He suggested Garlic Sauce.  Now if you're not familiar, garlic sauce is typically found in Middle Eastern restaurants as a dip served with fresh bread or pita, meat dishes, and on sandwiches. It's a whipped dip that is pungent and addictive - to those who LOVE garlic.  We never forget to grab a container with our take-out, but I noticed specialty markets are carrying it now.    
The garlic paired with olive oil and a sprinkling of salt mirrors the flavor of a garlic bagel chip. This bean packs a crispy, crunchy garlic punch that leaves you going back for seconds and thirds.  

These protein-packed, oven baked beans satisfy my 3:00 p.m. craving and leave me feeling guilt free till dinner. My toddlers love anything crunchy and enjoy them as a side dish for lunch or dinner.  These would also be a great party snack or jarred gift.  Grab a can and enjoy!


Inspired by these and these:


"Sweet" Maple Sugar Chickpeas

1 - 15 oz. can chickpeas
2 Tbsp coconut oil
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla
Dash of cinnamon
Pinch of salt (optional)


Rinse, drain and dry chickpeas completely.  Place in a bowl.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Grab a rimmed baking sheet or dish and line with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray.

In a separate small bowl, combine coconut oil and maple syrup.  Heat in microwave or on stove until liquefied and combined.

Add to chick peas, along with vanilla, cinnamon, and salt.  Stir and set aside for 10-15 minutes.

Pour bowl onto sheet or dish and roast for 45-60 minutes until browned, shaking every 15 minutes.

Remove from oven and sprinkle with additional cinnamon and salt (optional). 

Allow to cool completely before serving and storing.

Yield: 1-1 1/2 cups

Store these in an airtight container for up to a week.  I found that a glass container such as a mason jar or Pyrex works best for prolonged crunchiness. 


"Savory" Garlic Chickpeas

1 15 oz. can chickpeas
2 Tbsp garlic sauce
2 Tbsp olive oil
Pinch of salt (optional)

Rinse, drain, and dry chickpeas completely.  Place in a bowl.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Grab a rimmed baking sheet or dish and line with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray.

In a separate small bowl, stir to combine garlic sauce and olive oil.  

Add to chick peas, along with salt.  Stir and set aside for 10-15 minutes.

Pour bowl onto sheet or dish and roast for 45-60 minutes until browned, shaking every 15 minutes.

Remove from oven and sprinkle with additional salt (optional). 

Allow to cool completely before serving and storing.

Yield:  1-1 1/2 cups 

Store these in an airtight container for up to a week.  I found a glass container such as a mason jar or Pyrex works best for prolonged crunchiness.  

Comments