Homemade Waffles - 3 Ways

My sister and I recently acquired waffle makers (mine and hers) and we've been changing up our go-to breakfasts by making some darn good waffles for our families.  This post was inspired by a phone call about a boxed waffle mix that Rebecca was raving about, which led me to share two of my favorite homemade waffle recipes.  

The scratch recipe for my bean waffles is courtesy of a vegetarian group on Facebook that offers tips, seeks advice, and posts fave dishes for those interested in a plant-based diet.  I jotted this recipe down and am so glad I did! I make them weekly (Waffle Wednesdays!) and they're my favorite waffle recipe in my cookbook.  Besides being sweet and delicious, they are dairy-free, egg-free, and can be made gluten-free and oil-free. The secret ingredient....Beans!  Before you make a funny face, I challenge you to try them.  You may be wishing you made a double batch!


Bean Waffles

1 cup water
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup white beans*
1 Tbsp chia seeds
2 Tbsp coconut oil*
1 Tbsp maple syrup or 1 date
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1/4-1/2 tsp salt


Plug in waffle iron and pre-heat to medium/high.  Coat with coconut oil or cooking spray.

Add all ingredients into a high powered blender or food processor.  Blend until smooth.


Use a 1/3 cup and distribute batter onto waffle iron.  Bake for 3-4 minutes or until desired crispiness (or according to your waffle iron's instructions).

Yield: 4-5 medium-large waffles.  Store in fridge for up to a week or the freezer for longer.

*I've used cannellini beans, navy beans, chickpeas, black beans, AND aduki beans - out of a can or dry beans that were cooked.  All work well and have an ever so slight difference in flavor.  I personally prefer black beans or aduki beans.  

*I've swapped coconut oil for seeds or nuts i.e. sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, and brazil nuts.  Same ratios!  

Sweet Bean Waffles - From start to finish!

Have you ever tried a savory waffle?  These are seasoned with herbs and cheese and the main ingredient is...Vegetables!  They are healthy AND this crispy yet chewy waffle leaves you full! Who wouldn't want to eat waffles for lunch?  Do you like spicy?  Italian flavors?  Mexican? You can customize this waffle any way you want.  I love waffles because they have great texture, they're portable, and freezer-friendly!  Inspired by this recipe:

Savory (Veggie) Waffles


Dry Ingredients


1 cup all purpose flour

3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2-2 1/2 tsp spice blend*
1/4 cup nutritional yeast 

Wet Ingredients


1/4 cup vegetable puree* (or oil)

1 chia egg (or 1 regular egg)
1 T apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or dairy milk)
1/2 + cup non-dairy cheddar cheese (or dairy cheese)
1 cup veggies*, chopped

Plug in waffle iron and pre-heat to medium/high.  Coat with coconut oil or cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.  Make a well in the center.

Add the wet ingredients to the large bowl. Stir to combine but don't overmix.  Batter will be thick, chunky, and sticky.

Use a large ice cream scoop and distribute batter onto waffle iron.  Bake for 2 1/2 - 3 minutes (or according to your waffle iron's instructions) 

Waffles will be crisp on the outside yet soft and chewy on the inside.  Coat iron before each drop of batter.

Yield: 8-10 large waffles.  Store in fridge for up to a week.  Also freezer friendly!

Notes:
  • A spice blend can be a jarred seasoning such as Italian, curry, or Mexican, or a blend of your favorites.  I've used oregano, basil, parsley, and garlic powder.
  • The original recipe calls for 1/4 cup oil.  I've substituted with cooked (mashed) sweet potato and like the results.   
  • The veggies that you choose to add in your waffles is up to you!  I've used spinach, carrots, onion, garlic, broccoli, and peppers.  Use the leftovers in your fridge or pantry - cooked, raw, or jarred/canned veggies will work.

Savory Veggie Waffle with a dollop of hummus and side of broccoli


I love Arrowhead Mills Multi-Grain Waffle Mix (available at Whole Foods and Peapod) because its fast and easy, AND I can feel good about the ingredients. I have made my own mix in the past, but this is a great alternative when you're busy, but don't want those freezer waffles.

Multi-Grain Waffles

1 cup Arrowhead Mills Multi-Grain Pancake & Waffle Mix

1 egg beaten, or egg substitute*
1 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp honey
3/4 cup milk, soy milk, rice milk, or water
1/2 cup of mashed banana or pumpkin puree (optional)

Stir all ingredients together only until lumps disappear. Cook according to waffle maker's instructions. Store in a cool dry place.

Makes 5-6 square waffles.

*I make my egg out of: 1 tsp. baking powder, 1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil, 1 1/2 Tbsp. water



Jonah wanted me to take a photo of his marker..... not the waffles. 

Comments

Post a Comment