Quinoa Crust or Bread or Both?

Our family is in the minority when it comes to ordering take-out pizza.  We opt to make our own because 1. We enjoy it and 2. We can have both vegan and meat lovers made to order at a fraction of the cost of a pizzeria pizza.  Personally, my favorite part of the pizza is the crust.  We have used a variety of crusts including store bought pita bread, english muffins, and italian bread.  We've also made delicious crusts such as cauliflower and flatbread.  So when I saw this crust, I had to try it.  I mean, quinoa crust??  
If you've been following our blog, you know we LOVE quinoa.  Salads, muffins, granola, and more.  So why not add another to the list?

There's something very unique about this crust.  While the original recipe is a pizza crust, I found it to be scrumptious as a bread for dipping, sandwiches, and more.  I happened to have red quinoa in my pantry the first time I made it and when baked, it resembled pumpernickel bread.  Dense, chewy, smooth in texture. Instead of grabbing a round pan, I used a square pan and cut the bread in quarters.  For giggles, I smeared hummus on a piece and couldn't believe it - it was delish!  I had homemade pasta sauce in the fridge and tried a dollop on a piece - yum!  Finally, I used the remaining half as an actual pizza - topped with sauce, veggies, and non-dairy cheese.  It hit the spot!

I make this crust every other week in a double batch (highly recommend doubling).  My babes and I have it for lunches and dinner so I like to have plenty on hand.  This recipe has a few simple instructions, 4 ingredients, and the biggest step is soaking the quinoa for 8 hours or overnight.  If you can remember to set it aside before going to bed (I still forget after making it 20 times), you're 75% done.

Quinoa "Crust"

3/4 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
1/4 cup water
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Rinse and drain quinoa and place in a bowl covered with cold water.  
Let soak for 8 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Grab a 8x8 or 9x9 inch round or square baking pan and line with parchment paper and coat the paper with cooking spray or oil.
Rinse and drain quinoa and add to high powdered blender or food processor.  Add water, baking soda, and salt and blend for 2 minutes until smooth.
Add mixture to pan and smooth out with a spatula. Bake for 15 minutes.
Gently flip crust and bake for another 5 minutes.

Store in an airtight container for up to a week.  Freeze for longer.
Can be reheated in the microwave or oven.  

Yield: 2 servings
  
Soaked, pre-bake, and done!

Crust topped with homemade pasta sauce

Top: Hummus & veggie sandwich
Bottom: Coconut Curry with dipping slices

This recipe was not altered, but shared from the blog Oatmeal with a Fork.  

Comments