What did we eat today??

One of the things I love about blogging is sharing information.  Sharing photos, our stories, our successes (and failures) as they pertain to cooking for our families.  When I find a recipe that blows me away, I can't wait to tell someone about it.  Or when I discover a food hack or new tip that helps me in the kitchen, I want to shout it out on social media. Why?  Because I want to help.  If our blog can inspire, intrigue, motivate, or assist our readers, then I'm thrilled because I have certainly felt all those when following my favorite cooking blogs.  I enjoy cooking for my family and am always looking for inspiration when it comes to healthy meals, especially tips and tricks that will save me time And money.  

Our family is made up of 3 herbivores and 1 carnivore (my son is really into dinosaurs). Us herbi's mainly eat a whole food, plant-based diet that centers around fruits, veggies, legumes, nuts, seeds, and whole grains. By this definition, we've naturally eliminated almost all processed foods and animal products.  We also strive to eat organic and steer away from processed sugar and genetically modified organisms (GMO's).  When meal planning for my family, I do my best to offer a variety of foods each day in order to maximize nutrition. Flipping leftovers, utilizing fresh, frozen, and canned ingredients, and home cooking allow us to reap the benefits of a healthy diet with the bonus of keeping our food costs lower.  And the best part?  We look forward to sitting down and enjoying mealtime together. 

One of my favorite blogger posts is a food diary or "what I ate today" post.  It's a photo list of foods or dishes consumed throughout a single day.  So I'd like to share a day of eats that I prepared for the herbi's in our household - my 3.5 year old twins.  The following is a typical day, more specifically last Tuesday...

Breakfast 
I love this dish, not only because it tames our morning hunger, but half the work is done the night before.  The ingredients are mixed, poured, and refrigerated before bed and then thrown in the oven upon waking.  I've tweaked the recipe to our liking, adding flax seed and additional liquid, and I've played with the fruit combinations.  
This recipe makes six servings, so my babes and I get to enjoy this dish 
twice in one week.  
topped with banana and a splash of almond milk.  

Blueberry Baked Oatmeal with Lentils

Smoothies
Instead of cleaning out my Vitamix after pureeing some bananas for a recipe, I used it as a base for today's smoothie.  This green smoothie is made of wheat germ, chia seeds, peanut butter, broccoli, navy beans, swiss chard, apple, ice, and...banana.  
L&C love smoothies and will have one daily - almost always at breakfast.  I throw in different ingredients each day, but some of their favorite smoothies include 
nut butters, yogurt, and beets.

Green Smoothie

Lunch  
I planned to serve a lentil dish at lunch but didn't have any cooked lentils on hand.  So while eating breakfast, I grabbed the rice cooker and started a pot of lentils.  I added diced onion and a variety of spices (similar to the mjadra recipe).  This lentil pita includes a spread of hummus and garlic sauce, topped with a helping of lentils and non-dairy cheese.  Finished off by toasting in the toaster oven and adding a side of veggies. 
While L&C have their favorite veggies including carrots and broccoli, 
the ONLY vegetable they equally enjoy are peas.   

Lentil pita 

Snack 
As you can see, today's snack is a one they enjoy most afternoons - apples.


Supper 
I had a (forgotten) head of cauliflower that was sitting at the bottom of my fridge and I needed to use it ASAP.  I did a quick search on Pinterest and found a recipe for Cauliflower Pepperoni Pizza Casserole.  Instead of going the pizza route, I changed it to a Southwestern dish and used black beans, salsa, and cheddar cheese.  Adding peas and avocado were the perfect complements.  
Moments after handing them their plates, L&C did exactly what I did - top the casserole with the peas and avocado and mixed it all together.  It was a mound of deliciousness that we all enjoyed!

Southwestern Cauliflower Casserole

Dessert 
On this particular day, I didn't serve "dessert".  


Tuesday was a successful day of meals, meaning everyone enjoyed them. I love when that happens! Of course, there are days when it doesn't and the reasons could be anything 
from picky eaters to a recipe flop to a busy schedule.  

If You have a favorite go-to meal or kitchen tip that works for your family, we'd love to hear about it.  And if you'd like to see more "what did we eat today" posts, leave us a comment!  


Comments