Crock-Pot Oatmeal Bars

I recently shared a photo on social media of these homemade oatmeal bars and I received a HUGE response!  
Oatmeal bars with almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, cocoa nibs, dates, and raisins

I felt the need to post about this delicious breakfast because:

A. It's made in the crock pot so breakfast is done ahead of time
B. It's free of refined sugar, dairy, and eggs
C. It's oatmeal you can eat with your hands  
D. We ALL love it - so it's one dish and done!


I've been making this breakfast dish for a while now and the original recipe came from the Sugar-Free Mom's blog.  It stood out because of it's simplicity and name - Crock Pot Personalized Baked Oatmeal Bars.  I mean, who doesn't want to eat a baked oatmeal bar? I altered the recipe by swapping the eggs, milk, and sugar substitute for ingredients we always have on hand AND that fit our plant-based family.  


These bars are so very moist and the edges and end pieces get a little crunchy (that's my favorite part). They are naturally sweet from the (banana) base, but I've alternatively used baked sweet potato and canned pumpkin and both work wonderfully. I've even used a combination of two or more together, which has helped me to use up leftover ingredients hanging out in my fridge. I do not add a sweetener to the batter, but you could drizzle your favorite sweetener on top (i.e. maple syrup, molasses, honey).  


The prep time to make these bars is minimal.  The wet and dry ingredients come together quick.  Where I use the most time is deciding upon and gathering up all the toppings. I usually grab ingredients from my fridge and pantry, looking for small amounts of seeds or dried fruit that I can use.  You can keep it simple with 1-2 toppings, or personalize the bars by dividing the toppings in sections.  Have fun with it and enjoy!


Crock-Pot Oatmeal Bars

Ingredients

2 chia eggs*   
1 cup banana or sweet potato or pumpkin, mashed
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups rolled oats (gluten-free optional)
1/2 cup ground flax seed
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups water

Topping ideas: dried fruit, chocolate chips/cocoa nibs, fresh fruit, seeds, nuts, frozen fruit, shredded coconut

Instructions

Make chia eggs and set aside.

Place a piece of parchment paper inside the crock pot insert, large enough to go up the sides, and coat with oil or spray.  

Start with a medium bowl for wet ingredients - add banana/sweet potato/or pumpkin and mash in bowl. Then add vanilla and chia eggs.  Mix well and set aside.

Now a large bowl for dry ingredients - add oats, flax, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.


Wet and dry ingredients, ready to stir and combine
Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.  Add water and stir to combine.

Pour the batter into the crock pot and level.  Now add your toppings, pressing them slightly into the batter with a spoon/spatula. 


Batter in, toppings on, ready to cover.
Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.


Cooked for 8 hours
Use the edges of the parchment paper to lift the bars out, then place on a cutting board. Cut and serve.



Makes 8 bars

*Note: I've used 3T nut butter as one "egg" or made one flax egg when I was short on chia seeds.


Oatmeal bars topped with raisins, pecans, peanuts, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, cocoa nibs




Comments