Homemade Doughnuts (egg-free)

Doughnuts are most certainly my vice.  It is one of the only acceptable ways to have dessert for breakfast. Freshness is everything, otherwise I'll eat just about any doughnut that crosses my path. Cake doughnuts are probably my favorite... because, well, it's cake. 

Unfortunately, I have one child with allergies (eggs, among other things) which makes store-bought doughnuts an impossibility.  I've learned how to make cakes and a myriad of other pastries without eggs, but I had never actually made doughnuts.  So I had some learning to do.  

I have an egg-substitute that works for many baked goods, but you can only substitute up to 3 eggs in one recipe. My recipe for the substitute is listed at the bottom. Vegans - take note!


  • Does it taste different? Yes. 
  • Is the texture different? Yes. 
  • Does it work? Yes. 
  • Is my 4-year old happy? Yes. 

Cake Doughnuts

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp melted butter
1/2 cup milk
1 egg beaten (or egg substitute, see below)
1 quart oil for frying

Heat oil in deep fryer (or medium sauce pan) to 350 degrees. Use a candy thermometer to maintain this temperature throughout cooking. 

In a large bowl mix all ingredients (except oil) together with a spatula until well blended. Knead gently and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out to 1/4" thickness. Cut using a doughnut cutter, or (like I did) a biscuit cutter for the outer ring and an apple corer for the center ring - yea, I'm a problem-solver. 

Carefully drop doughnuts into hot oil a few at a time.  Be sure not to overcrowd as it will reduce the oil temperature and make turning difficult. 

Cook for about 3 minutes, turning once. 

Put onto a paper towel lined cooling rack. Once cool enough to touch, roll in plate of powdered sugar. Or sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, or frost, or all of the above.  Whatever your heart desires. 

Egg Substitute = 1 Egg
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 Tbsp. water
1 1/2 Tbsp. oil 

Extra notes:
  • Frying takes time (to heat up and to cook), is a little messy, and leaves your home with fried smell.  Do not let these facts deter you! 
  • If the oil gets too hot, turn the heat down and be patient. Burnt doughnuts are sad. 
  • These are a special treat!  We make them so infrequently, the fuss is worth it. 
  • You can re-use the oil - otherwise it feels like a huge waste.  Let it cool, and using a funnel and fine mesh strainer, pour it back into an empty oil bottle or a mason jar. 





Comments