Veggie Packed Chili

I share all my recipes. I've never withheld a recipe for out of fear someone will "steal" a dish. First of all, a good 75% of my recipes were someone else's that I simply follow or, more often times, adapt to my own liking. I don't claim to be any sort of mastermind of recipe creation. So, claiming them as my own is a little silly.  However, I might be afraid that one of my friends will show up at the same party with the same dish. We usually communicate ahead of time about who-is-bringing-what to avoid an unfortunate duplication.

Having said all of that,  I am still a little bit protective of my chili recipe.  I have shared it on paper many times, but not on the blog.  Honestly, I foresee that one day I'll be asked to compete in a chili cook-off and everyone will have already cooked and eaten what will be my (hopefully winning) entry into the competition.  Silly, I know.  So I'm getting over it and sharing this amazing recipe.

Highlights:
  1. It's vegetarian, but super hearty and healthy! It's actually vegan, but we want people to try it, so we'll just call it vegetarian! hahaha!
  2. It takes around 1 hour from start to finish, but if you prep/chop ahead of time, it will only be 30 minutes on a weeknight, and it all comes together in one pot.

Vegetarian Chili

2 Tbsp. Oil (vegetable, coconut, olive)
1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
1 cup chopped red bell peppers
2 Tbsp. minced garlic
2 - 3 jalapeno peppers, stemmed, seeded, and minced
1 medium zucchini, trimmed and diced
2 cups frozen corn, thawed (or 2 cups fresh corn kernels, when its in season)
1 1/2 lbs. portobello mushrooms, stemmed, wiped clean and cubed.
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne
2 -15 oz. cans petite diced tomatoes
2 - 15 oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 cup vegetable stock or water

In a large, heavy pot (or dutch oven) heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, garlic and jalapeno peppers, and cook, stirring until soft, about 3-5 minutes. Add the zucchini, corn and mushrooms, stirring until the vegetables give off their liquid and start to brown around the edges, about 6 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin, salt and cayenne, and cook, stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and stir well. Add the beans, tomato sauce, and vegetable stock, stir well, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.

Great toppings:                                  Optional sides:
sliced avocado                                    elbow noodles
chopped green onions                         tortilla chips
sour cream                                          cornbread
shredded cheddar                             


Additional Notes:
  • I don't include mushrooms because my family does not like them, but go nuts if you're a mushroom fan. Customize based on your family's preferences - more garlic, less corn, more cayenne, less jalapenos.... you get the idea. 
  • You meat eaters can add 1 - 1.5 lbs cooked ground beef  when you add the tomatoes if you MUST have meat. 
  • I like to make plain whole wheat elbow noodles or mac-and-cheese and turn this into chili-mac. Or you can just eat it with tortilla chips.
  • This is great for a party! Make it early in the day and put it on warm in the slow-cooker. This serves at least 8 people, more like 10. 
  • This makes a great meal to take to a friend who has just had a baby, surgery, or just needs a little comfort food. I pack all the toppings too (along with some cookies), and they've got a healthy meal that also warms the heart. 
  • It also freezes well, so one recipe can be split in two and you'll still have enough for two dinners for a family of four. 
  • Put leftovers in a thermos for your child's school lunch, pack a bag of tortilla chips and a little shredded cheese and they'll have real hot lunch. 
It was adapted from an Emeril Lagasse recipe. He never lets me down.

Comments