Chickpea Curry

My husband, Jason, once told me about a Pakistani lunch spot called Cafe Zum Zum in Seattle where he and his sister, Julee, used to swoon over chickpea curry. I was fortunate enough to travel there myself and devour the curry they spoke of. He was not lying. It was amazing! This recipe was my attempt to duplicate those flavors. 

The butternut squash risotto was my first attempt at risotto.  Similarly, this was my first attempt at a curry and I was pleased at how easy it was. DON'T be intimidated by the list of spices. Yes, they can be pricey, but most of them are versatile. Michelle and I will continue to showcase recipes that use cumin, paprika, and chili powder.  Turmeric, coriander, and garam masala are a little more specific to curries, but you can't make this recipe without them. I have seen all of these available at Meijer, either store brand, McCormick or McCormick Gourmet collection.  

I made our Restaurant Quality Flatbread on the side. 

Chickpea Curry
1 large onion, sliced or chopped, whichever you prefer
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. paprika
1 tbsp. ground cumin
1 tbsp. ground coriander
2 - 15 oz. cans chickpeas, drained
1 - 15 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
1 cup tomato puree
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tsp. garam masala

Heat oil in the pan, over medium heat.  Add onion and garlic, stirring until soft.
Add next 6 spices. Stir into onion/garlic mixture for 1 minute.
Add chickpeas and undrained tomatoes and tomato puree, stir until combined. Simmer, covered, over low heat for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
Stir in heavy cream and garam masala. Simmer, covered for another 10 minutes. 

Prep + cooking time: About 1 hour
Yield: 4 main servings, 6 side servings

  • Serve with rice, couscous, or quinoa OR tucked inside pita or naan bread. if you can get your hands on some naan - DO IT! 
  • If you have a meat-eater in your home, you can easily cook some chicken ahead of time, shred it, and incorporate it into the mixture when you are adding the garam masala. 
  • You can move this to a slow cooker on low for several hours. 




Comments