Black Bean Burgers = Four thumbs up!

The title of this post should actually read "Six thumbs up" to include myself (along with my 2 1/2 year old twins)! 


I LOVE veggie burgers and used to buy a variety of store brands before making them myself.  An advantage to homemade is that I can tailor them to my liking using ingredients that fit our tastes and needs.  Another bonus?  I can double a recipe so I always have some on hand for a quick go-to meal.  


I saw this recipe for black bean burgers and initially thought it was right up my alley. Not only did I enjoy them, but after I gave my babes a taste test they went bananas for these patties!  I have a couple favorite burgers in my recipe binder, but none of them get devoured like these do. I don't know if it's the texture, flavor, or both, but sure enough I end up ditching my own meal plans to enjoy these burgers.


To make these patties, you'll need a plan of attack.  The mixture takes a few steps, then there's a chill period, and finally a 30 minute oven time.  I usually start the prep and mixture process in the morning while I have a few minutes to myself.  Then I can throw the bowl in the fridge and leave it until I'm ready to continue (often times it's longer than 30 minutes - as noted in the recipe). Once the burgers are placed in the oven, they are self sufficient so I can tend to other tasks until my timer alerts me to flip them.  In the end, they are very much worth the small effort.  

Courtesy of Eat Good For Life

Black Bean Burgers

2 15-oz cans black beans, drained and patted dry (or 3 cups cooked beans)
10 oz (or one package) mushrooms (white button, baby bella), stemmed and roughly chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves
1/2 cup old fashioned oats (gluten free optional)
1 egg or flax egg
1 tsp cumin
1-2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup flaxseed meal

Extras for serving: avocado, guacamole, salsa, hummus, lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumber, pita, bun

Prepare large baking sheet with parchment paper or oil.  Prepare flax egg (if using).
In a food processor, add 1 can (or 1.5 cups) of black beans, onion, and garlic and pulse until pureed.  
Add rest of beans, 1/2 the mushrooms, oats, and spices and pulse until combined.  
Scrape down sides as often as needed to keep mixture moving.
Add remainder of mushrooms and pulse until combined but you can still see chunks of mushrooms and beans in the mixture.
Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add flaxseed meal.  Stir to combine well.  
Cover and place bowl in the fridge for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Remove from fridge and with your hands, large spoon, or medium-large ice cream scoop, form patties and place onto prepared sheet.  
Pat down using wet fingers or oiled spatula.
Bake for 20 minutes on first side.  Flip and bake for 10 minutes.  
Patties will dry out and become more firm on the outside, while the inside will be moist.
Allow to rest and set before serving.
Serve with your favorite extras.

Yields: 12-14 burgers


I generally put a few cooked burgers in the fridge and freeze the rest in a container with wax paper in between each patty.  My babes eat them at room temp, which makes them great for when we're out and about and need to pack a meal.  I've eaten mine topped with avocado in a pita, or rolled in a wrap with hummus.  I love that it tastes great no matter what I have on hand. 







Their plate - Broccoli, hummus, and burger

My plate - Burger inside a pita with lettuce, tomato, and avocado along with organic tortilla chips




Comments