EASY Homemade Salsa

I’m a little burned out on regular tomato salsa, but I also like that it is a convenient and low-calorie snack. This recipe is somewhere between a salsa and a relish, making it great on top of fish, in tacos, on those black bean burgers Michelle served up a couple weeks ago.

This recipe will only keep a few days in the fridge, and is best served a couple of hours after making.  It makes a little over three cups, so it is great to bring to a party with chips or to serve with dinner and to have as a snack for a day or two.

The only thing I don’t like about this recipe is having to use so little red onion and green pepper, so make sure you make this on a week that you can use up the rest of the red onion and green pepper in another dish.

Tomato Corn Salsa
1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernals
2 cups diced fresh tomatoes, or 1 -15 oz. can of petite diced tomatoes
2 Tbsp. diced red onion
¼ cup diced green bell pepper
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
1 fresh chopped jalapeno
1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 tsp. cider vinegar

Blanch the corn in boiling water for 2 minutes or until tender. Drain. In a large bowl combine corn with remaining ingredients. Let sit for 20 -30 minutes before serving. Add salt and pepper to taste.

That’s it! No cooking! The basil is a nice change from the usual cilantro, but I am sure you could use cilantro if you had it on hand. 

This is from the Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Cookbook. If you're not familiar with Moosewood - they are a wonderful vegetarian & vegan restaurant in Ithaca, New York. I've never been there, but I've been cooking from this cookbook ever since my dear friend Lacey bought it for me. If you are dabbling with vegetarian or vegan, but want bold flavors, I suggest you pick up a copy!

Comments