Easy Baked Polenta Fries

In a recent post, I talked about how many of the meals I make come from the need to use an ingredient.  Well, I found myself in the same spot again last week.  


While putting away some groceries in my pantry, I kept noticing the tube of pre-cooked polenta I had sitting on the shelf.  I had bought it a couple months back to use in a dish and simply forgot about it.  Then ironically, I was browsing some blogs and came across a post about polenta fries.  I briefly read it, thought it sounded interesting, and continued on. Later that day I went in the pantry and again, saw the polenta and thought...why not make some fries?  


Essentially, this recipe is one ingredient - Polenta.  I used Organic traditional pre-cooked polenta in a tube, which I found in the health food section at Kroger.  This version of polenta is great for speedy meals, as traditional boxed polenta can take up to an hour to make.  I also love that these fries are baked - so not only are they healthier, but I don't have to babysit them on the stove.


So, I'm very pleased to report that my twin toddlers loved them!  I happened to serve the fries on a night I made sweet potato soup.  The kids used them as dippers which worked great!  We've also dipped in hummus, tahini dressing, and yogurt.  Of course, good ol' ketchup would work well too.


And the topper?  My husband loved them too!!  He actually said, and I quote, "I would buy these in a restaurant."  Touchdown!!

Based on this recipe, here's: 

Easy Baked Polenta Fries

1 tube of Organic Traditional Polenta Pre-Cooked
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Parmesan Cheese (Dairy or Non-Dairy Store Bought or Homemade), optional

Preheat oven to 450 degrees and prepare a baking pan with a coat of non-stick spray or line with parchment paper.


Cut open tube of polenta and remove plastic wrapping.  Cut in half lengthwise.  Cut both halves lengthwise and continue until you have 1/4 inch thick slices.  
Place fries on baking pan and coat with oil spray.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and cheese (if using).
Bake for 15-20 minutes and flip once.  Repeat coating of oil spray and spices.  Bake for another 15-20 minutes or until browned and crispy.

Yield: 18-22 fries














Comments