Zucchini & Corn Fritters

I made zucchini pancakes a while back and really enjoyed the texture and taste. However, I am always searching for new ways to hide vegetables in food. I tried these zucchini and corn fritters (my first time making fritters) and I was ridiculously excited about 2 things:
  1. how easy they were to make
  2. how delicious they taste
The corn adds the perfect amount of sweetness, the cheese makes them a little gooey inside, and frying them (yes, frying) makes them puff up like little cakes with a perfectly crispy exterior. I didn't even need to top them with anything.... although some sour cream or crème fraîche would have worked nicely.  I paired it with grilled chicken sliders with a little provolone cheese & BBQ sauce. 

A great side dish, these fritters could also be an appetizer to bring to a party.... which I might have to do! 

I had no need to change the original recipe which came from Rachel Ray's My Year in Meals (which sissy bought for me.) This felt like a gateway to try other incarnations of fritters. I have a feeling some crab fritters are in my future.....

finished product!

batter ready to fry
no more than 4 at a time



Zucchini & Corn Fritters

Ingredients

1 small zucchini, shredded on the large holes of a box grater (no need to peel the zucchini first)
Salt and Pepper
Kernels from 2 small ears of corn (or about 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed)
2/3 cup flour
2 large eggs
1/2 cup finely chopped scallions
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (sharp cheddar, Monterey jack, or pepper jack, or a combination)
Corn oil, for shallow frying

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Place a wire cooling rack over a baking sheet. 
Place zucchini in a strainer, salt it liberally, and allow it to drain for 15-20 minutes.  Press out the excess liquid.

Transfer the zucchini to a food processor and add 1/2 of the corn.  Pulse to a fine chop. In a bowl combine the flour, eggs, scallions, whole corn kernals, and cheese; season generously with salt and pepper.  Add the chopped corn and zucchini.  Stir to combine. 

In a large skillet heat about 1/4" of oil over medium to medium high heat. Once the oil is hot and ripples, spoon in a 2"- 3" mound* of the fritter mixture (in a 12" skillet do not add more than 4 at a time to avoid overcrowding.)  Fry until deeply golden, 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to the rack to keep warm in the oven while you make the rest of the fritters.  

Makes 10-12 fritters

*I used a large cookie scoop and then used the back side of the scoop to gently pressed the ball flat into the pan.  

Comments