Black Bean Pinto Bean Burgers

BBPBB. That's how I list my Black Bean Pinto Bean Burgers on my meal planning board.  I plan ahead 1-2 weeks of meals, including breakfast, lunch, and dinner using a monthly calendar wipe board on the fridge. It helps take the guess work out of "what are we having for 'X' today?"  It helps me save money on groceries and to use what food I have on hand. Planning ahead provides us with Variety - we look forward to our meals and reap the benefits of different nutrients from different sources. If you've wanted to try meal planning for your family but didn't know exactly what to do, we've got a step-by-step Blog Post Here

So, back to the burgers.  I have a bunch of veggie burger recipes in my cooking folder.  A few standouts are my childrens' favorite black bean burger (on our blog). A falafel burger from the blog Vegan Richa. And the BBPBB.  The BBPBB recipe is a go-to of mine because I Always have the ingredients on hand. Beans, Oats, Ketchup, Mustard, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder. They take 10 minutes to prep, 20 to bake, and are great for lunches or dinner.  

From Meal Mentor, I doubled the original recipe and use a blend of black beans and pinto beans. Pinto beans have a similar texture to black beans and they're a mild, yet tasty bean that often goes unused (beyond refried beans). If you don't have pinto beans, just grab another can of black beans. 

BBPBB

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
4T ketchup 
2T mustard
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
2/3 cup ground oats (gluten-free option) 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 

Pour beans into a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher or fork until mostly mashed (a few whole beans adds texture). 

Add ketchup, mustard, and powders. Stir with a spoon or spatula until combined.  

Add half the oats and stir to combine. Add more until batter is no longer wet. 

Use a cookie scoop or divide batter and form by hand. Place patties on a lined baking sheet. 

Bake for 10-15 minutes. Gently flip and bake for another 5 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving. 

Makes 8-10 patties





Comments