What did we eat today? #2

Hi Everyone!  It's been busier than usual around our household, as my babes are starting nursery school this fall!  I can't believe it!  Because their time at school is limited to only a few hours a week, there's no official lunches to be made.  But I am responsible for sending snacks for my littles and sometimes providing them to the entire class.  So I may be highlighting my snack choices in the "What did we eat today" posts.  I'm always looking for ideas so maybe mine will inspire some of you?  


Today's sneak peek into our day of eats covers some new foods and good 'ol standbys... 



Breakfast 
My babes wanted to help make breakfast this morning and I had been eyeing a recipe from my cookbook Plant Powered Families. The banana bread recipe is straight forward and we had all the ingredients on hand. They were super excited to help, especially knowing we'd be baking bread with bananas in it.  Turned out delicious.  
This is banana bread topped with strawberry chia jelly with slices of pear.  




Smoothies
Today's smoothie happens to be one of their faves.  It's made with beets, banana, cucumber, chia, swiss chard, apple, and ice.  I made extra so I could have popsicles for future desserts!  



Lunch  
I cook either a batch of seasoned lentils or a lentil dish each week that will give us at least two meals. I like to change it up, using red lentils or green lentils, and serving it different ways.  Today's lunch included cooked lentils (almost mjadra minus the bulger) topped with nutritional yeast with a side of veggies and quinoa bread.  I personally like to dip the bread or top it with the lentils.  Cora also likes to dip, while Luke eats everything separately. 



Snack 
After naps we made a much-needed grocery trip to Costco.  I usually grab their water bottles and snack bags in case we need them, especially when we're out.  Today I forgot them at home.  But I felt pretty confident we'd find something tasty at Costco - lol!  Sure enough, Mary's Gone Crackers came to the rescue.  We LOVE these!


Supper 
We had plans in the afternoon and wouldn't be arriving home until supper time.  I wanted to plan a meal that would be easy to plate as I knew we'd be hungry walking in the door. These "pockets of goodness" from our blog are the best.  My babes actually helped make these too - ahead of time - and we froze a bunch.  So I pulled a few from the freezer, placed them in the fridge to thaw, and threw them in the microwave when we got home. Paired with avocado, they were quick, nutritious, and delicious!



Dessert 
Since I had left the kids' snack bags home when we ran to the store, they got to eat their snack of apple slices at the end of supper.    




Thanks for reading and checking in with us.  


We hope you have a great day!!



If you have a favorite go-to meal or kitchen tip that works for your family, we'd love to hear about it.  And if you'd like to see more "what did we eat today" posts, leave us a comment!  


Comments