13 Holiday Gift Ideas for the Chef in Your Life!

When we first started our blog, we shared a Mother's Day Gift List with some of our favorite kitchen tools and gadgets.  We still love every single item on that list, but we have some more ideas to share!

Since holiday shopping season is upon us, we hope this list will be helpful when shopping for that person in your life who loves to cook - or wants to love to cook! We've included links to the products so you can shop directly from this post. Perhaps you'll read this post (or our Mother's Day post) and think "I LOVE these ideas for myself!"  Here is a link to the amazon idea list that includes all the items listed. So if your wife, husband, son, daughter, mom, or dad asks what you want, send them the link to the amazon list! How easy is that??

  1. Recipe Journal - My dear friend Kathryn  gave me a recipe journal and it is one of my most prized possessions.  She inscribed the front cover with a beautifully hilarious dedication.  I use it to record my original recipes or modifications to someone else's recipe. This one is very pretty! 
  2. Vintage Cookbooks - Most of us can never have enough cookbooks.  If you want to make a cookbook present a little extra special, check out the vintage cookbooks available on amazon.com and ebay. The recipes, photos, and illustrations are very different from today's cookbooks, which makes them a blast to read through!  This one was given to me by my sister-in-law, Julee. She went the extra mile and bookmarked all of her mom's favorite recipes and added notes like "best cookies!" or "Caitie's favorite meal!"
  3. Subscription to Cooking Magazines - I love my cooking magazines! My personal favorites are: Cooks Country, Fine Cooking, and Cooking Light.  Runners-up would be: Food Network, Rachel Ray Everyday, and Better Homes and Gardens.  The first three are more technical and really focused on cooking (and priceier, but SO worth it!). The latter three have more articles about interior design, entertaining, and decorating in addition to some great recipes. 
  4. Mason Jars - They aren't just for canning!  I have gradually replaced my plastic storage containers and used mason jars to store canned beans, dry beans, nuts, dried fruits, leftover non-perishables, etc. I even use them as vases for fresh flowers or to mix salad dressings.
  5. Meat Thermometer - For us meat-eaters... there are two versions you might want to consider. I have both! The Instant Read Thermometer by OXO is around $20 and great for everyday oven cooking.  The Wireless Long Range Thermometer is great for meat that needs to cook for an extended period of time in the oven or a smoker.  Keep it inserted into the meat and set an alarm. When it reaches your ideal temp, the alarm goes off!  Brilliant! You'll never ruin your Christmas Prime Rib again (Rebecca!)
  6. Egg White Separator - Okay, okay. This seems frivolous, but if you bake as much as I do, separating eggs cleanly can be super-frustrating. I have a vintage separator that was my grandmothers and I love it!  This one is fancy, but inexpensive (great stocking stuffer).  But this is for the hardcore bakers! Otherwise your friend will just look at you and say "Thanks?" when she opens it. 
  7. Turkey Baster - I have never made a turkey by myself, on a day other than Thanksgiving.  However, turkey basters have so many other uses!  I most often use it to remove the fat that has cooked off of ground beef, sausage or other meats.  You can use it to remove any excess liquid from any pan or oven cooking. No more trying to scoop it out with a spoon, or pour it out of a pan without making a huge mess! This baster  is stainless steel (stands up well to hot liquids and washing) and includes an injector for that ONE time of year you might actually inject and then baste a turkey with it! 
  8. Vitamix 3-piece Spatula Set -  For those who own a Vitamix or high-powered blender, this tool is Awesome!  These thin, long-handled spatulas allow you to get to the bottom of the container with ease.  Perfect when making dips, nut butters, and smoothies.
  9. Silicone Baking Cups - Not just for cupcakes!  These cups are a fun addition to your baking drawer and a great stocking stuffer!  Of course I've used them for cupcakes, but they're handy for making chocolates and other sweet treats, as well as separating food items in lunch boxes.  No more paper cups needed!
  10. Non-stick Donut Pan - This pan may not be in every chef's kitchen, which is why it would be a great gift!  There are a variety of donut recipes online (including on our blog!!) that are easy to make at home.
  11. Reusable Sandwich/Snack bags - Reduce the use of disposable baggies!  These zipper/velcro bags are washable and handy for leftovers or quick snacks for taking food on the go.  Lots of styles to suit adults and children.  I love that it also sends a great message to my kids about our impact on the environment. 
  12. Silicone Basting Brushes - These brushes are just as handy as the Turkey Baster mentioned above!  I use mine to brush oil in a pan, frosting on top of cookies, or butter on top of bread. 
  13. Pyrex Glass Measuring Cup (Set) - I use this daily!  Of course to measure, but also to mix batters, and hold sauces and dry ingredients while cooking. And you can never have too many!



Comments